If you’ve never heard of reflexology, it’s pretty beneficial to get into it. Especially if you are a new parent! According to naturaltransition.com, Reflexology is based on the principle that reflex points found on the feet and hands correspond to specific organs, muscles, bones and body systems.
The site continues by noting that babies are pretty responsive to reflexology. In fact, those mothers who rub their baby’s feet when they are cranky, crying or uncomfy actually are able to calm them down for the most part. In fact, reflexology is able to help soothe a baby who is experiencing a tummy ache, headache, sinus discomfort, etc.
You really just have to understand the different points on a baby’s foot that affects each of these pains. Once you figure those out, you are fully capable of calming down your child who is feeling uncomfortable or even in pain! So check out these stress points on your baby’s foot that can soothe them and ease their pain.
1. Sinus pain isn’t comfortable for anyone. So imagine how a little baby feels when they have it. Healthychildren.org notes that it’s the “inflammation of the lining of the nose and sinuses”. You can calm your baby from the discomfort of sinus pain by gently massaging the baby’s soles. The Healthy Lifestyle says that applying a bit of pressure to the soles, located right beneath their little toes, will calm them down. Don’t press too much, that might hurt the baby.
2. Anyone who is a mother knows how painful it is for a baby when they’re teething.Modern Reflexology notes that teething can cause serious toothaches and headaches, but by gently massaging the tip of the baby’s toes, you can relieve the pain. Doing this will relax them and relieve the baby from the pain. It will also make them fall asleep fairly easily.
3. No one likes having stomach pain. When a baby has stomach pain, you feel helpless. You don’t know what to do to ease the pain. Well, reflexology is the answer. The Healthy Lifestyle notes that all you have to do is start massaging the center of the baby’s toes in a circular motion. The site notes that the central toe area is “bonded to the solar plexus which is full of nerves that are between the stomach and our lungs”.
4. Owner of A Caring Touch: Massage Therapy, Karen Stoner, noted that “massage helps everything flow and move, so any ‘bunched up’ congestion or fluids are encouraged to move through and more easily out of the system”. So if your baby is experiencing chest congestion, you should massage their soles right about the foot’s arch. Gently massage that area in a circular motion.
5. Pain in the pelvis area is the next common discomfort that babies experience. Luckily, reflexology can help out. According to The Healthy Lifestyle, if your baby is having a lot of pain in its hips, massaging the heel of their foot will help them get rid of the pain. It would also relieve them from an upset tummy as well as constipation.
6. Abdominal pain in infants can also be relieved or made easier through reflexology. Before I tell you which area on the foot can help relieve this pain, maybe it’s a good idea to talk about the various abdominal pain that infants can experience. According tohealthychildren.org, the three main abdominal pain is colic, intussusception, and viral or bacterial infections.
The Healthy Lifestyle notes that massaging between the soles and the middle of a baby’s foot can relieve them of abdominal pain. But different pains require that you work different areas of the abdomen. If your baby is experiencing bloating, then massage between the heels and the middle of the foot. Again, do this very gently as the baby’s foot is very sensitive.
However, The Healthy Lifestyle also notes that if your baby is experiencing more serious pain then you should go and see a doctor as soon as you can. Reflexology is great for light issues that aren’t too serious and to relieve pain that isn’t so intense. Always go see a doctor if you feel it’s something more extreme.